Saturday, March 3, 2007

Fetch



I wanted this painting to be more of a sketch and not an overworked portrait of a little girl and her dog. I worked back and forth carving background and foreground at the same time and being very aware of the values. I think the background trees got a tad too much like arrows pointing to the main subjects but now enough to make me want to go back in and rework it. My whole thrust was to have freedom of brushstroke and indicate a cute little girl happily playing catch with her faithful dog.

2 comments:

cayli said...

Very cute and I didn't see the tree thing that you do, so I would leave it. Sometimes we are the most critical of our own work.

Danny Griego said...

A nice painting despite your concerns. I learned from Jeff Watts that sometimes it helps to just mess it up a bit, maybe run a palette knife or your thumb through the a certain area, then rework it. It helps me out in landscape painting. Maybe a some cooler colors in the background to seperate it from the background? Good job though!