Monday, April 9, 2007

Old Master Method




I have always been intrigued with Old Master paintings so I wanted to see if I could do one. I started with a drawing of a girl, transferred it to a 6x8 inch canvas and did a full acrylic under painting. Because acrylic dries so fast I was ready for the glazing of oil paint in no time. Now is when things slow down. Glazes need drying time but I did put the work in the sun to speed the process up a bit. Now, rather than watch paint dry I started a landscape. I thought I'd try the acrylic under painting on this one too. The background of the forest I painted in darkest value, the rocks in middle value andthe water in lightest. With this painting, I was able to go almost immediately go to opaque oil. I put in cool and warm shades of forest leaves and then worked on the mossy rocks and fallen trees in the background. Then I went back to the portrait and added more glazes and finally opaque oil.
Doing two paintings at a time is fun.

1 comment:

cayli said...

Oh No! Painting ADD. It's almost as bad as knitting ADD. ;)